War, with a short sub-section on the Spanish Civil War.
1) War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy: obviously.
2) Life and Fate, Vasily Grossman: a twentieth century version of War and Peace.
3) The Balkan Trilogy, Olivia Manning
4) A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway
5) Catch-22, Joseph Heller. (I haven’t read this, despite having bought the book, as the copy I had fell apart as soon as I got it home and when I went back to the shop they didn’t have any other copies so I had a refund instead of a swap. This has irrationally turned me against the book. Turning against the shop would make more sense but would also have had a far greater impact on my life.)
6) The Good Soldier Svejk, Jaroslav Hasek
7) All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
8) Moontiger, Penelope Lively
9) Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks
10) The Regeneration Trilogy, Pat Barker – suggested by the quibbler
11) Parade’s End, Ford Madox Ford
The Spanish Civil War Sub-Section:
– For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway
– Homage to Catalonia, George Orwell
– The Forging of a Rebel, Arturo Barea
– A Moment of War, Laurie Lee